Crandon House was next to the King Sedgemoor Drain and is shown as being there since the middle 1800’s. It was occupied by the Bellinger Family for many years latterly by Susan and Elizabeth in 1901 and one remaining in 1923. A Miss Jeannetta Peck died in 1934 late of Crandon House.
The Silver Fish Tea Rooms Café and Hotel near Crandon Bridge offered Bed, Breakfast and supper as well as camping and caravan accommodation. It was “equipped with a provisioned store for the convenience of campers. A good water supply and hot water, baths and lavatory accommodation available. It operated from 1935 until 1963.
A brochure from the open time has surfaced showing the extent of the operation and the services provided.
In 1935 Kellys Directory Norman Parker is listed as resident proprietor **
In January 1936 a Planning application to Bridgwater RDC in the name of Mrs Parker for additions to the building to be used as a tea room for the Silver Fish.
Facts to date:
1937 June Advertisement for staff-a lady assistant
1939 Register Norman Parker still resident proprietor
1940 August Resident David Percy Frank Butler a radio service engineer (conscientious objector)
1940 Oct Advertised to let furnished part or whole 12 bedrooms
1947 Oct A Mr D. Balsam was advertising trees and plants from Silver Fish Hotel
1947 Sept Hotel and restaurant now open Good food well cooked.
1948 May Assistant manager named as Gerald Patrick McNamee
1950 May Drugs stolen from Doctors bag left in a car
1954 Kellys Directory F L Cheek described as recommended by The Good Food Club
1957 F L Cheek in occupation Kellys Directory
1960 August F L Cheek named as proprietor in newspaper report
1961 July Frederick Leonard Cheek in court non-payment of Nat Insurance of staff Mary Gwendoline Usher
1962 April Application by Leonard Cheek for residential licence previously a club there.
1963 May Purchased by Somerset River Board for use by staff and subsequently demolished.
** Norman Parker appears to be the first manager / owner and resident proprietor?
Born 11 June 1891 Worcester and married Maria Abell on 10 Nov 1923. He advertised as an electric light engineer 1924 in Worcester.
The 1939 register shows them resident in Silver Fish as Heating & Domestic Engineer Retired. He died in Weymouth on 21 June 1958 aged 67 years leaving £3,245 19s 10d to wife Maria. She died 25 June 1964 left £36,244 to Michael Norman Parker and Clementine Ann Parker.