Clyst Cottage, Bradney Lane
On the site of the present fisherman‘s car park at Bradney Bridge was Clyst Cottage, also known as River House in 1881
Built when the King Sedgemoor Drain was initially constructed and shown as a dwelling on the 1795 Enclosure Award. The cottage was built for the Clyst keeper and remained in the ownership of The Commissioner of Sewers. At this time there was no road shown from the King Sedgemoor to Bawdrip, only a track across the field.
The road ended on the Bradney side of the Bridge and there were fields beyond. The two long-term inhabitants were the Wests and the Giles.
1841 Tithe Award shows the occupant as Alexander Bulpin.
1841 census Alexander Bulpin aged 39 agricultural labourer
March 1846 Alexander Bulpin “a poor aged man” was found drowned in the King Sedgemoor Drain, having been missing for 6 days.
By 1860 John West and his wife Elizabeth were resident.
1871 census John West aged 65 farmer of 33 acres, Elizabeth his wife aged 63, children George 24 and Elizabeth 20.
1881 census shows a John and Elizabeth West. The entry states “John and Elizabeth West and son George with Elizabeth March, dairymaid at Peasey and help with grandchildren Thomas 14 and Rosa Jane 2″. NB. Elizabeth March was John West’s sister.
1885 Kellys Directory shows George West as tenant
1914 Kellys Directory again shows George West as tenant and water bailiff
In 1924 the Giles family took up residence George, then Clement, then Robert until it was demolished in 1983. Robert was given the opportunity to purchase the cottage by the owners, but he had married a woman from Lyme Regis and they went there to live. Robert bad worked and lived in Bawdrip all his life until then.
On 14 May 1983 the cottage was demolished, and the site cleared for the fishermen‘s car park. You can still see evidence of the fruit trees, honeysuckle and the crocuses which were in the of the garden of the cottage.